May 16, 2012
ATLANTA, May 16, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- AutoTrader.com, the ultimate automotive marketplace, surpassed a major milestone with its mobile apps for iPhone and Android devices: one million downloads. Available for less than one year, combined original downloads of these apps (not including downloads of app updates) hit the one-million mark on Monday, May 14, 2012. The iPhone app, launched in June 2011, accounts for 73 percent of the AutoTrader.com mobile app audience, while the Android app, which was launched in October 2011, accounts for the remaining 27 percent.
The AutoTrader.com mobile apps for iPhone and Android are designed to create a powerful and personalized mobile car shopping experience. With these apps, shoppers can find cars and dealers near them, utilize location-based features and access everything they need to find the car that their hearts and minds can agree on — right at their fingertips.
"With our mobile apps, our objective is to create a ubiquitous experience for car shoppers on the go, and the rate of adoption and usability trends of our apps is proof that users are finding them valuable," said Jose Ignacio Puente, director of product strategy for mobile. "We pay close attention to user feedback and improve our products to ensure that they are getting an optimum AutoTrader.com mobile experience."
The core functionality of the AutoTrader.com apps on both the iPhone and Android platforms helps users search and save vehicles throughout the car shopping process. However, the apps offer much more to achieve that powerful and personalized experience. With either app, users can:
In particular, the ability to save searches and vehicles to a user's My AutoTrader account has proven to be a well adopted feature of the mobile offerings. With a free My AutoTrader account, shoppers can save searches as well as individual vehicles, which they can access quickly and easily from any device with an Internet connection — via a computer, the AutoTrader.com mobile site on any smart phone or the AutoTrader.com iPhone or Android apps, creating a seamless experience between devices. By saving information, users can quickly see a list of cars they're interested in or run the same search without having to re-enter their criteria.
As more and more shoppers turn to their mobile devices, AutoTrader.com has seen a continued increase in traffic through its mobile properties, from the iPhone app, Android app and mobile site (m.autotrader.com). Mobile car shopping activity spikes in the evenings and on the weekends, when users are more likely to be away from their primary computers. In addition to the My AutoTrader feature, functionality such as the VIN Scanner and location-based features enable shoppers to locate vehicles and dealers near them, further helping smooth the transition from shopping on a desktop to shopping while on-the-go.
Atlanta-based AutoTrader.com, created in 1997, is the Internet's ultimate automotive marketplace and consumer information website. AutoTrader.com aggregates in a single location millions of new cars, used cars and certified pre-owned cars from thousands of auto dealers and private sellers and is a leading online resource for auto dealers, individuals and manufacturers to advertise and market their vehicles to in-market shoppers. The company also provides a robust suite of software tools for dealers and manufacturers to help them manage and market their vehicle inventory and display advertising on the Internet. AutoTrader.com continues to grow key business metrics, including revenue, profitability and site traffic. Today, AutoTrader.com attracts millions of unique monthly visitors who utilize the site to review descriptions, photos and videos of vehicles for sale; research and compare vehicles; review pricing and specials; and read auto-related content like buying and selling tips and editorial coverage of major auto shows and automotive trends. AutoTrader.com operates one other auto marketing brand, AutoTraderClassics.com. AutoTrader.com also owns used vehicle management software company vAuto, Kelley Blue Book (kbb.com), HomeNet Automotive, a leading provider of online inventory management and merchandising solutions for the automotive retail industry and VinSolutions, a leading provider of end-to-end solution platforms for dealers. AutoTrader.com is a majority-owned subsidiary of Cox Enterprises. Providence Equity Partners is a 25 percent owner of the company and Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers is also an investor. For more information, please visit www.autotrader.com.
For further information: Julie Shipp, +1-404-568-7914 (o) +1-404-558-7837 (m), firstname.lastname@example.org